Sunday, July 11, 2010

Romans 12 is getting to me.

Just some tidbits from Romans 12 that have been driving me crazy over the past couple of weeks:

"Think of yourself with SOBER JUDGEMENT."

"Each member [of the body] BELONGS to all the others."

"Honor one another ABOVE yourselves."

To what extent are we living this? I have an idea of how well I'm living this, and it ain't good news. In addition to these passages, you've got those other ones that speak of being generous with all your possessions since they aren't actually yours in the first place, then you've got the Acts 2 and 4 church that shared all their possessions and gave to anyone as they had need.

Taking a look at my life, there's not much of this going on at all. Maybe I've been looking at myself with more sober judgement, but I don't live out the idea that I belong to other members of the body of Christ, and I rarely honor others above myself.

With some large-ish decisions coming up in my life and the lives of dear friends, can I challenge us all (myself included) to write these things on our hearts and factor them into our decisions? I've been seriously thinking about real, meaningful ways that we can/should/need to be doing this.

First, we gotta submit our decisions to the discernment and wisdom of our local church family in accordance with God's word. Our decisions should be for the edification of the whole, not self-preservation or self-advancement. Maybe the church thinks you would contribute to the body in a particular capacity and wants you to pursue a specific role. Is it crazy to think this way??

One thing I know I need to work on is simply closing my mouth. If it won't work for the edification of the church, then I must keep it to myself. I should be first to volunteer for the most despised chore; in fact, I should do it before anyone else has the chance to notice and then keep my mouth shut about it. As James says, the tongue is an all-consuming fire.

"Practice hospitality" (another verse from Romans 12). Invite people into your home, practice servanthood by opening your living room, cupboards, and hearts.

I've been throwing around some thoughts about common purse. Can't seem to decide what I think. I could use some comments on this one.

Anyway, I hope that gets some conversations started in your churches and maybe some thoughts to mull over in your minds. I know that's what's happening in my head (and all over the pages of my poor journal).

2 comments: